Office of Tax Collection
2ND QUARTER TAXES ARE DUE 5/1/2023 WITH A TEN-DAY GRACE PERIOD (5/10/23). PAYMENTS RECEIVED AFTER 5/10/23 WILL BE CHARGED INTEREST FROM 5/1/23. NJSA 54:4-67
Payments can be made the following ways:
- Pay Property Taxes online.
- Pay Sewer Rent online.
- Mail a check using your payment stub to: West Windsor Tax Collector or Sewer Rent, PO Box 38, West Windsor, NJ 08550 Please note your cancelled check is your receipt.
- Tax and Sewer Rent payments can be placed in the new green 24 hour drive up drop box, it has been installed on the left side of the circle prior to the flagpoles. Payments received after 3:00 pm are credited to the next business day. Tax Payments received after 5pm, on 5/10/23 will be considered late and processed on the next business day.
- If using your personal online banking, please allow 7-10 business days for bank processing (an actual check is mailed to our office by your bank). When asked for an account please use your Tax account number or Sewer Rent account number (This information is on your tax bill or sewer rent bill and also is available here. Account Numbers are NOT the same for Tax and Sewer.) Online banking payments should be made payable and mailed to: West Windsor Tax Collector or Sewer Rent, PO Box 38, West Windsor, NJ 08550. (Please note: Tax Payments should be made payable to West Windsor Tax Collector and Sewer Rent payment made payable to West Windsor Sewer Rent.)
TAX & SEWER PAYMENTS MUST BE ON SEPARATE CHECKS
Tax Collector’s Verification forms (PTR 1A or 2A form) can be completed the following ways:
- Be mailed to the Tax Collector’s office (P.O. Box 38, 271 Clarksville Rd, West Windsor, NJ 08550 with a self-addressed stamped envelope
- Left in the drop box (located inside the lobby of Administration Entrance) with a self-addressed stamped envelope
- Call Extension 391 upon arrival and place the form on the table in the lobby. We will complete the form and bring it back to the lobby when completed.
Please Note: No personal identifying information other than name and address is required to be included in the submission to the Tax Office, and residents are encouraged to leave only the form, rather than the entire application booklet. While the form does ask for the applicants’ social security numbers, we neither require nor ask the resident to provide that when submitting the form to the Tax Collector’s office for completion. This information can be filled in after the form is completed by the Tax Collector and prior to mailing to the State. The Tax Office processes the verification forms as expeditiously as possible, and they are typically mailed back within two business days. The form will be completed and returned via mail using the self-addressed stamped envelope.
Property tax bills are mailed annually in July and include 4 payment stubs. Taxes are due quarterly on February 1st, May 1st, August 1st, and November 1st.
Sewer rent bills are mailed annually in July and include 2 payment stubs. Sewer Rent is due semi-annually March 1st and September 1st.
Failure to receive a tax or sewer bill does not exempt you from paying or the interest due on taxes or sewer rent owed.
Grace period for Taxes & Sewer Rent: The Township grants a ten-day grace period, after which interest accrues from the first day payment is due. If the 10th falls on a weekend or legal holiday (or, on a day that the Tax Collector’s office is not open) the following business day will be the last day of the grace period. Please be advised that the State of New Jersey does not allow the Tax Collector to acknowledge postmarks.
Interest & Delinquencies: Payments received after the grace period will be assessed at 8% interest per annum on the first $ 1,500.00 of delinquency and 18% per annum on all balances over $1,500.00. Any balances over $10,000.00 on December 31st, will be assessed an additional flat 6% penalty. All taxes, sewer rent and municipal charges not paid by November 11 are subject to Tax Sale.
Mortgage Companies: It is your responsibility as a homeowner to let the Tax Collector’s office know if a bank is escrowing your taxes OR if the mortgage company will no longer be paying your taxes. If your property taxes are paid through your mortgage company, each quarterly stub will have a notation stating “Advice Copy Do Not Pay”
Ownership: When selling your property, the tax and sewer bill must be handed over to the new owner at the time of closing.
There are often times when the tax collector must return checks that are written incorrectly. These errors cause delays and necessitate interest being charged on late payments. Please double check the following when writing your check:
- Check is made payable to West Windsor Township
• Check is signed
• The numeric amount matches the written amount
• Check has a current date; postdated checks cannot be accepted
• Include tax stubs for all properties that you are paying (If you do not have the stub, please include your block and lot number, tax account number, or your property location)
• Include a self-addressed, stamp envelope for any information you require returned
• Please do NOT staple your tax stub to your check
Property Tax Relief Programs
Senior Citizens or Disabled or Surviving Spouse Annual Tax Deductions: An annual deduction of $ 250 is available for Senior Citizens/Disabled/Surviving Spouse applicants who qualify based on residence and income limitations. Applications can be obtained at the Tax Assessor’s Office or online at https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/other_forms/lpt/ptd.pdf and the Supplemental Income Form at
https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/other_forms/lpt/NJ_PT_SupplementIncome.pdf. Both forms would need to be completed to apply.
Veterans/Surviving Spouse/Civil Union/Domestic Partner of Veteran or Serviceperson: An annual deduction of $250 is available for Veterans/Surviving Spouse/Civil Union/Domestic Partner of Veteran or Serviceperson who qualify based on active wartime service with an honorable discharge and state residency. Applications can be obtained at the Tax Assessor’s office or online at https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/other_forms/lpt/vss.pdf
ANCHOR Program:The State of NJ has replaced the Homestead Benefit program with Affordable New Jersey Communities for Homeowners and Renters (ANCHOR). Payments will be issued directly to qualified applicants in the form of direct deposit or check. This program provides property tax relief to NJ residents who owned or rented their principal residence and meet the income requirements. For more information on this program please visit the website at: https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/anchor/index.shtml
Property Tax Reimbursement/ “Senior Freeze” (The Blue Book): Applications are mailed to the homeowners directly from the State. For more information on this program please call the State at 1-800-882-6597or visit the website at https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/ptr/index.shtml