West Windsor Township was incorporated in 1797 encompassing six hamlets: Port Mercer, Penn's Neck, Clarksville, Grover's Mill, Dutch Neck, and Edinburg. Prior to incorporation, West Windsor, founded by William Penn in 1682, encompassed all of Princeton Township and Borough, and East Windsor. By the 1800's, this prosperous farming community was prized for its central location between New York and Philadelphia. A seventh hamlet was added called Princeton Junction when the northeast corridor rail station was added in the 1860s.
Today, West Windsor is a major center for research, retail, and corporate offices with a population of approximately 27,000 residents within its 27 square miles.
Township of West Windsor • 271 Clarksville Road • PO Box 38 • West Windsor, NJ 08550 • 609-799-2400